Wednesday 27 November 2013

My Hair Curling Shenanigans : Long Lasting Curls for Thick, Long Hair ?

Look at this picture .
Luscious curls
Photo Credit: Pinterest

Have you always been envious of those beautiful waves ? I have always been. At one point I was so obsessed to achieve this look I literally viewed a hundred You Tube videos, give or take. Did your eyes opened up a bit at that ? I know it's a tad bit crazy! Video after video I witnessed beautiful curls being made . That perfect Victoria Secret voluminous curl. I wanted that too!

Then I curled my hair for the first time . My curls fell flat after half an hour and  I was left with a big , frizzy mess. I was most annoyed . What the heck was I doing wrong ? It took me about 20 more tries ( over a span of time of course) to finally figure out a successful way for the my curls to last at least half a day.

I've learnt so much about my hair during this process. First up, my hair is very thick and long so the weight of it causes the curls to fall flat in no time. I also realized holding the iron in my hair for the average 8-10 seconds does not cut it. A proper curl does not form and I did not want to expose my hair with more heat. I could go on and on but these are the main things that were preventing me from having successful curls.

After the many trials and errors here is the routine I found works for me. Here is a short video showing you the products needed.


So here are the steps to get those LONG LASTING CURLS:

Prepare your hair.

  • Lightly spray hair with hair spray to create texture.
  • Spray hair with your heat protector then brush out to evenly distribute the product.
Curl your hair.
  • Part your hair how ever you like .
  • Grab half inch sections of your hair and curl away from the face. 
  • After each curl pin it to set the curl. ( this is the important step to achieve long lasting curls)
  • Lightly spray entire head of curls and leave them to set for about half hour or in my case I leave it for about an  hour. ( I do my makeup or errands around the house to pass the time.)
Style your hair.
  • Unpin all curls and lightly comb through them with your fingers
  • Arrange them however you like .
  • Give one last spritz of hairspray and you are all done ! 
Ladies, I hope these steps helped in some way. Please feel free to let everyone know what helps you achieve longer lasting beautiful curls. Comment below and let me know . 







No comments:

Post a Comment